Friday, August 20, 2010

Topamax for Bipolar - has it worked for you?

I have always refused a mood stabalizer for fear of getting more depressed or fatter. I had taken zyprexa with prozac and wellbutrin for awhile which seemed to even me out but then I stopped it all because I felt better. Then I got depressed and was put back on just prozac for that along with my OCD skin picking disorder. Well being on just prozac sent me into a major manic episode which caused me to destroy virtually every aspect of my life - let's just say I made major life decisions that made no sense and in the end - ended up getting arrested for a bad "business decision" ... this was TOTALLY out of character because I am not a criminal but I ended up getting arrested - mug shot and all.... I had all the other classic manic symptoms too which I have gone through before but never to the extent where I ended up faced with jail time. Now I realize I need a mood stabalizer but I don't want to get depressed or fatter. This is why I am interested in Topamax - anyone with experience

Topamax for Bipolar - has it worked for you?
My best friend has bipolar, and she has had me read tons of books. I am her go to girl when she cycles. As you know you need a great support structure and a great pyschiatrist. That said, my friend takes Risperdal and Lamictal. Neither one is known for weight gain (but anything is possible in pharmaceuticals) and Topamax is less effective for cycling. So if I were you and you are conscious about your weight, I would check into Risperdal and Topamax. Risperdal also helps with anxiety issues and depression ( which would have some obvious advantages with your OCD issues).


No comments:

Post a Comment